Hello world! Apologies for the brief hiatus, I hope you are eking out the last of your Summer wherever you may be. I am back in Hong Kong, production of AW14 is pretty much completed and we are getting ready to pack off our wholesale orders. It’s still baking hot here so it is strange to be swimming in a sea of velvet, but looking at all the embroidered bears and snowy prints is making me excited about the inevitable season change ahead. Fashion seasons also don’t pause for a second so we are simultaneously busy preparing SS15 to unveil next month.
So there’s a little update on what’s happening at BoD headquarters at the moment. I promise to show you some sneak peaks of our upcoming photoshoots!
In the meantime, snap up some AW13 bargains in the online shop before they disappear forever!
Illustration by Barbara Bargiggia
If you like hunting down cute illustrations online you will no doubt have stumbled across Pixiv and Topit. These sites are popular open platforms for both amateur and professional illustrators to submit their digital art, often manga and anime inspired.
Illustrators throughout Japan and beyond have been posting ‘What’s in my bag?’ (かばんのなかみは) illustrations for a while now… this satisfies two interests of mine: a nosiness of what other girls cart around in their handbags, and a love of real life objects drawn to a miniature scale.
I thought I would share some of my favourite ‘What’s in my bag?’ artwork found around Pixiv…
There are literally hundreds of illustrations tagged under ‘What’s in my bag?’ on Pixiv and Topit. I think Japanese girls carry the cutest things but what I really like about these illustrations is the humour that is injected into them. There’s no glossing over the fact that us girls carry a lot of junk!
Having spent ages admiring other Pixiv art I decided to jump on the bandwagon and do my own…
*ﾟ✲ﾟ*:₀｡Click to enlarge!*ﾟ✲ﾟ*:₀｡
Here’s what I always carry in my backpack:
- My HTC One Max- my huge phone and my lifeline
- Urban Ears headphones… they are battered and bruised but I still love them
- My purse containing money, cards and my ID- I really should have graduated to a wallet by now but I love cute purses!
- My Oyster card – A Londoner’s essential
- A broken Chanel powder compact, held intact with a hair-tie obviously
- Lipstick – in case I’m going somewhere
- My keys… on a Chromeo keychain. I had a time-turner from Harry Potter studios but it broke!
- Juice – I am terrible at drinking water so I always have some liquid sugar instead
- Tic-Tacs – or other sweets. Limited edition flavours are my specialty
- Nurofen – just in case
- Deodorant – to spray on myself and around me on public transport
- AW13 Book of Deer sweatshirt for when the sun sets
- A book – reading material for queues
- My pen case – for all my favourite ball-point pens and pencils because you never know when inspiration will hit!
So there you have it! My not-so-glamarous daily essentials revealed! I hope you’ve enjoyed peeking at my possessions as much as I’ve enjoyed drawing them!
More ‘What’s in Your Bag?’ drawings can be found here at Pixiv and Topit.
20% off our SS14 Summer Blouses!
Pick up your 100% cotton, novelty print blouse in the online shop now.
FREE worlwide shipping included!
Remember our best selling Bird Disguise Blouse from our SS12 collection? Well Daria of Kittenhood really knows how to style it!
Daria has rather ingeniously styled her Book of Deer blouse in two very different ways on her blog.
1) Here she is at the University of Art & Design graduate exhibition in Cluj-Napoca, Romania looking very chic pairing her blouse with a relaxed white trench. Full style post here
2) And here is Daria demonstrating expert layering with her blouse peeking out under a Dear Creatures dress…read the full story here.
Follow the life of Daria on Kittenhood…. she likes all the stuff we like: cats, fit-and-flare dresses, bikes, novelty prints, foxes, breakfast food…
A little bit of cute therapy for the end of the week~
I have been sitting here reminiscing about my trip to New York City last month and thought I would share some vacation snapshots with you. Sorry they’re a bit low-res, all pics were taken with my phone. Those who know me will know that my phone (HTC One Max) is my absolute most-prized possession, it is as big as my face and I like to hide behind it in public. Perhaps one day I will get a DSLR(?) and start snapping blog-worthy pictures, but until then I hope this collection of moments from my trip will make you feel like you were there with me.
I am not such a stranger to NYC as I have had the good fortune of having family and dear friends there since I was little. I also spent 3 months interning at Anna Sui back in my St Martins days. Nevertheless, it had been a good few years since my last trip to New York so I felt more than obliged to plan a visit. Our main agenda was to wander around everywhere, eat 7 meals a day and hang out with some old pals.
I could go on and on about the wonderful things we did, New York is a city that is infinitely impressive and entertaining. I am reinvigorated to seek out more USA stockists so I might have more reasons to hop over the Atlantic!
It’s Not Her, It’s Me is a blog on my regular reads list… Toshiko Shek is a San Mateo, California based blogger and a self-described “fashion enthusiast, artist, and crazy cat lady”. I love Toshiko’s style versatility, her outfits can look sophisticated but she always sneaks in little elements of cute. She remixes boxy jackets, capes and leather with novelty prints, pastels and lace.
Toshiko recently styled our Odetta Dress in a dreamy sun-saturated blog post. Toshiko paired her vinyl-print dress with F21 two-tone chunky platform sandals and a Mori Girl straw hat.
“To go with my happy state of mind, here are some photos of me wearing Book of Deer frolicking around in the rose garden. Isn’t this Odetta Vinyl dress so perfect for summer? Look closely, there are not only florals but vinyl records too!” ~ Toshiko
Read the full blog post and all about Toshiko’s enviable LA life here at It’s Not Her, It’s Me.